A relaxing porch swing bed can transform your outdoor space into a personal oasis. The gentle rocking motion creates a soothing spot to lounge, read or even take an afternoon nap. But in order to fully enjoy your porch swing bed, you need a sturdy stand providing strong structural support. With the proper stand assembled correctly, you’ll be able to hang your swing bed safely and utilize this special feature for years to come.
From choosing durable materials to securing the hardware, we have you covered with expert tips for DIY success. Let’s get started creating your ideal porch swing bed stand!
## Choosing Materials for Your Porch Swing Bed Stand
The stand material you select sets the tone for your whole swing bed installation. Naturally weather-resistant woods offer beautiful, long-lasting options that upgrade your space. But you can also opt for no-fuss metal stands or budget-friendly DIY kits.
### Weather-Resistant Wood
For a traditional look with craftsman-style appeal, wooden swing bed stands made of cedar, redwood or pine impart natural warmth. Here are some key benefits of each wood type:
- Cedar – With its reddish hue and resistance to decay, cedar is one of the best woods for outdoor use. Though more expensive, it’s lightweight, strong and naturally repels water.
- Redwood – Extremely durable against insect damage and moisture, dense redwood makes a worthwhile investment for a stand that will last decades.
- Pine – The most affordable wood option, pine requires additional treatment to prevent rot in outdoor conditions. But properly maintained, it offers a serviceable stand material.
### Metal Bracket Kits
For the handy DIYer, metal bracket kits provide an easy option for customizing your own porch swing bed stand. Many choices include pre-drilled brackets to attach to the lumber of your choice. Just ensure the hardware is rated to accommodate the size and weight of your swing bed.
### Other Durable Materials
Beyond natural wood and metal, here are some other components to create a sturdy stand:
- Wrought Iron – Decorative twist iron designs infuse vintage character while providing steady support.
- Aluminum – A weatherproof metal that won’t easily bend, corrode or rust over time.
- PVC – For a budget-friendly plastic stand, molded PVC won’t rot and stands up to sun and rain.
## Measure Space and Select Stand Size
Once you decide on swing stand materials, it’s time to measure. Carefully check the dimensions of your porch or deck to determine space limitations. Remember to leave ample clearance around the edges of the swing bed so it can hang freely without hitting walls or railings. Also note the ceiling height to pick an appropriate stand height for sufficient head room.
Swing bed stands are commonly available in widths ranging from 4 to 8 feet. Choose a size that best fits your selected bed with some extra wiggle room. Keep the measurements handy as you’re assembling the stand, since custom sizing may be required.
## Assemble the Stand Base
Now for the fun part – putting all the pieces together! Follow your stand’s instructions carefully, utilizing power tools or hand tools to cut lumber and secure joints. Here are some tips for smooth assembly:
- Use wood glue before driving screws to strengthen connections.
- Drill pilot holes to prevent wood from splitting, especially when screwing into the ends of boards.
- Double-check measurements and level as you go to ensure proper alignment.
- Sand edges smooth and round over corners for safety and aesthetics.
Take your time constructing a solid stand base according to the recommended weight capacity. This crucial foundation supports the entire swing bed structure.
## Add the Support Brackets
With the base built, it’s time to add hardware for suspending the bed. Follow all instructions for the placement and angle of support brackets or eye bolts. Some key pointers:
- Drill pilot holes before screwing in eye bolts to avoid cracks.
- Use a bubble level to ensure hardware is installed straight and flat.
- Confirm weight ratings again and test hardware strength before hanging the bed.
Double-checking your work ensures your stand assembles securely to safely bear the load of a hanging bed over time.
## Stain and Seal the Wood
Unfinished wood will weather quickly outdoors, so protect your stand with stain or sealer. Consider complementing your home’s color scheme, or let the natural wood tones shine through. Allow proper drying time before mounting your swing bed so fumes dissipate.
Sealing the wood grain not only beautifies the stand, but also prevents rotting, mold and UV damage. Reapply sealer periodically to maintain the wood’s integrity.
## Hang the Swing Bed
Now for the best part – enjoying your porch swing bed! Attach the chains, cables or ropes to the stand’s support hardware following the bed’s hanging instructions. Adjust lengths evenly to achieve your desired seat height and a level, gently swaying position. Ensure no obstructions impede free movement.
As you gently hop on and test out your freshly hung swing bed, you’ll immediately reap the benefits of all your hard work assembling the stand. Savor that feeling of floating relaxation and pride in your craftsmanship.
## Maintain Your Porch Swing Bed Stand
A properly assembled stand should serve you for many years of swinging. But periodic maintenance will keep your porch bed swing stand in top shape. Here are some easy maintenance tips:
- Check hardware connections regularly and tighten if needed.
- Re-stain the wood as needed to protect from weathering.
- Consider moving the stand to a covered location during extreme weather to prolong its life.
- Wash regularly with mild soap and water to prevent dirt buildup.
With proper care, you’ll enjoy your hand-crafted porch swing bed stand for seasons to come!
Assembling your own porch swing bed stand may seem intimidating, but having the right materials and following our step-by-step guide will set you up for success. Taking the time to build a sturdy stand is well worth it once you can relax in your outdoor oasis. We hope these tips help you construct your ideal swinging sanctuary tailored precisely to your space. Get ready to impress visitors and make memories in your new favorite napping nest!