A bed skirt is the perfect way to add a decorative finishing touch to your daybed. Not only does a tailored bed skirt neatly disguise the box spring and bed legs to create a polished look, it can also help pull together your daybed’s overall decor scheme. With so many options in terms of styles, fabrics, sizes and patterns, it can feel overwhelming trying to select the perfect bed skirt for your specific daybed setup. That’s why we’ve created this comprehensive guide covering everything you need to know to find that ideal bed skirt to complement your daybed.
Explore the Array of Bed Skirt Styling Possibilities for Daybeds
One of the great things about shopping for a daybed bed skirt is the wide range of available styles. From tailored and sleek to soft and ruffled, you can find a look that matches your personal taste and works with your existing decor. Here are some of the most popular bed skirt styles for dressing up daybeds:
Tailored Bed Skirts
The tailored bed skirt features crisp, clean lines in a smooth, streamlined design. This style works especially well for daybeds with a modern, contemporary flair. Often made of cotton or cotton/polyester blends, tailored bed skirts maintain their structure beautifully.
Pleated Bed Skirts
Pleated bed skirts add depth and dimension with row upon row of neatly pressed pleats. The shadowing and texture created by the pleats establish visual interest. Pleated bed skirts pair nicely with ornate or vintage-inspired daybed frames.
Ruffled Bed Skirts
For a soft, feminine finish, a ruffled bed skirt is the way to go. One or more tiers of dainty ruffles adorn the lower edge of the skirt, offering a romantic, cottage-chic look. The ruffles can range from delicate to dramatic based on the width and number of gathered tiers.
Tiered Bed Skirts
Tiered bed skirts feature two or more layers of fabric in gradual steps. The tiered effect adds loft and fullness around the base of the daybed. Tiered skirts often incorporate ruffles, pleats or other decorative details on each layer for added whimsy.
Key Factors to Keep in Mind When Selecting a Bed Skirt Style
With the abundance of enticing bed skirt styles available, how do you narrow it down to the right look? Here are some key considerations as you evaluate bed skirt options for your daybed:
- What is the existing style of your daybed frame? Choose a bed skirt that complements the frame’s overall aesthetic. For instance, a tailored cotton skirt pairs nicely with a sleek, contemporary frame while a breezy, ruffled skirt matches a curved vintage frame.
- What is your personal decorating style? If you lean modern and minimalist, a crisp tailored bed skirt is likely the best fit. For traditional homes, pleated and ruffled skirts work well. Cottage decor looks lovely with a tiered or ruffled skirt.
- Where is the daybed located? Daybeds in high-traffic family rooms or other shared spaces might benefit from a more durable tailored skirt that can withstand frequent use. Delicate ruffled skirts are better suited for guest room daybeds seeing gentler use.
Fabric Considerations for Daybed Bed Skirts
Fabric choice plays a key role in both the look and performance of a bed skirt. Be sure to evaluate the pros and cons of various fabric options as you shop.
A 100% cotton bed skirt offers unparalleled softness and breathability. As a natural fiber, cotton provides exceptional comfort for daybeds used for lounging or sleeping. The downside is cotton wrinkles easily and may require more frequent laundering.
Blending cotton and polyester creates a durable, wrinkle-resistant fabric perfect for a daybed skirt. The cotton adds softness while the polyester provides structure. The easy-care properties make cotton/poly blends ideal for high-traffic daybeds.
Microfiber fabrics are prized for their ultra-soft, suede-like feel and appeal. They are also woven tightly for durability and stretch resistance. Microfiber bed skirts maintain a crisp, tailored appearance even after regular use and washing.
100% polyester bed skirts are affordably priced and easy to care for. However, polyester does not breathe as well as natural fibers, so heat and moisture may build up. But for spot-cleaning daybed accidents, polyester cleans up nicely.
Overall, cotton and cotton blends best balance beauty, breathability and low maintenance. But your choice comes down to your daybed needs and decor goals.
Master Daybed Bed Skirt Measurements for an Ideal Fit
One of the keys to a picture-perfect daybed is taking accurate measurements so you can find a bed skirt with the right drop length. Here are some tips for measuring daybeds:
- Measure from the very top of the daybed mattress down to the floor. For optimum coverage, add 2-3 extra inches to allow for the bed skirt drop length.
- Standard bed skirt drops for daybeds are 14″, 18″, 21″ and 24″. Choose the measurement closest to your size.
- Take into account the height and style of the daybed legs. A taller or chunkier leg needs a longer drop length to properly drape to the floor.
A properly fitted bed skirt should drape evenly around the entire daybed with no gaps, dragging fabric or visual awkwardness. So precise measurements are key to daybed dressing success.
Tips for Styling Your Daybed Bed Skirt
Once you’ve selected the perfect daybed bed skirt, it’s time for the fun part–decorating! Use these creative styling tips to show off your new skirt:
Coordinate with Daybed Linens
Pick a bed skirt color and pattern that complements your daybed mattress cover, sheets, shams and other linens. Aim for a coordinated collected look, not necessarily an outright match. Feel free to mix prints and solids for visual depth.
Incorporate Accent Pillows and Throws
Pile on pretty accent pillows in colors and patterns that pick up on the tones of your new bed skirt. Drape chenille or faux fur throws at the foot of the daybed to tie everything together in cozy style.
Reposition the Daybed as Focal Point
Let your new bed skirt shine by moving the daybed into a prominent position in the room, like diagonally in a corner. Angle it to showcase the cascading bed skirt from all sides.
Layer in Textures
Introduce tactile interest by mixing bed skirt fabrics like cotton, chenille and faux fur. The combo of mattress, bed skirt and accent textiles creates compelling depth.
Capture the Look
Once your daybed remake is complete, capture photos to inspire others with your personalized daybed style.
Caring for Daybed Bed Skirts
Daybed bed skirts are designed for longevity, but proper care is key. Follow this laundry advice to keep your skirt looking fabulous:
- Read the care label and follow washing instructions.
- Machine wash in cold water on a gentle cycle. Skip the heat of the dryer and air dry instead to prevent shrinkage.
- If drying is needed, use low heat and remove promptly to avoid over-drying.
- Steam or touch up wrinkles with a cool iron as needed.
- Spot clean stains immediately to prevent setting in.
With proper care, your daybed skirt can maintain its beauty and vibrancy for years of stylish service.
Smart Daybed Bed Skirt Shopping Tips
Ready to start shopping? Use these tips to score daybed bed skirt deals:
- Shop online – Online retailers like Amazon, Wayfair and Overstock offer huge selections and discounted pricing on daybed skirts. Read reviews to find top-rated picks.
- Check big box stores – Target, Walmart and Bed Bath & Beyond carry solid daybed skirt options at affordable prices both online and in-store.
- Visit home goods stores – HomeGoods, Tuesday Morning and other home stores offer a treasure hunt for marked-down designer daybed skirts.
- Compare prices – Search for the specific bed skirt you want across websites to find the best deal. Optimize savings by stacking coupons and promo codes.
Shop smart and soon you’ll score the daybed skirt of your dreams at a dream price!
Extra Decorating Tips for Showcasing Your Daybed Skirt
Here are some additional pointers for decorating and protecting your daybed once the new skirt is in place:
- Add felt pads under the daybed legs to prevent scuffing and floor scratches.
- Shake out the bed skirt weekly to remove dust bunnies and pet hair.
- Rotate seasons and refresh the look by swapping to lighter summer skirts or cozier fall/winter ones.
- Amp up the volume by experimenting with layering two bed skirts of varying lengths.
With the right prep and care, your daybed skirt will help create a space that’s both stylish and welcoming for years to come.
Adding a bed skirt is one of the easiest ways to elevate your daybed from basic to beautiful. With so many enticing options in terms of fabrics, colors, patterns and silhouettes, you’re sure to find a look that complements your existing space.
Focus on accurately measuring for a custom fit, and don’t be afraid to add creative flair with ruffles, pleats and coordinating accent pillows. Your new bed skirt will pull your lovely daybed together into a focal point of comfort and style.
Now that you’re armed with insider tips and advice, you can confidently dress your daybed in a skirt that showcases your personal taste and brings you joy. So go ahead and have fun finding that perfect bed skirt to give your daybed an effortlessly chic makeover!