If you’ve ever hung heavy, luxurious drapes only to watch them sag sadly from wimpy rods, it’s time to upgrade your window treatment hardware. When you need to hang substantial drapes on wide panoramic windows, extra long traverse curtain rods are the heavy duty solution.
Traverse rods are specialty hardware designed for smoothly opening and closing wider, heavier drapes. Instead of struggling with standard rods, traverse systems give you silky operation and sturdy support. Extendable lengths, high weight capacities, and smooth gliding mechanisms optimize these rods for palatial spaces dressed in regal fabrics.
When You Need an Extra Long Traverse Rod
Here are common situations when it’s time to level up to heavy duty traverse rods:
- You have wide, panoramic windows needing full coverage.
- Your design vision includes thick, luxurious drapes like velvet or brocade.
- You’re frustrated with standard rods sagging under the weight of heavier fabrics.
- You want easy, seamless operation for opening and closing substantial draperies.
If you’re dealing with large windows and heavy fabrics, traverse rods are the specialty hardware that can handle the job.
Key Features of Quality Traverse Rods
One of the biggest perks of traverse rods is their ability to extend and adjust to wide window openings. Standard traverse rods range from 48 to 84 inches, while customizable systems can be cut even longer. This expandable length allows you to stretch your rod across extra wide spaces for seamless drapery coverage.
No more awkward gaps or skimping on drape panels. With a traverse rod, you can maximize the potential of both your soaring windows and sumptuous draperies.
Another signature feature of traverse rods is their heavy duty build for securely supporting substantial drapes. The top-rated Kirsch Super Heavy-Duty Traverse Rod, for example, has a weight capacity of up to 2 pounds per linear foot.
This robust metal construction with reinforced brackets and pulleys easily traverses the thickest lined drapes without any sagging or dragging. Give those hefty velvets, brocades, or blackout linings the proper support with a high weight capacity rod.
Smooth Traversing Operation
Gliding your drapes open and closed is a cinch with a traverse rod’s smooth pulley system. Ball bearing end units reduce friction and allow the rod to slide easily across its track with zero snags.
Whether you’re peeking out or drawing the drapes closed, you’ll appreciate the whisper quiet operation. Traverse rods take the headache out of opening heavy window treatments.
Types of Draw
To further customize your traverse rod, consider which draw option best fits your space:
- Split draw: Pull cords in the middle operate both ends simultaneously for centered access.
- Left draw: Cord pulls the drapes from one side only.
- Right draw: Opposite of left draw, operates from opposite end.
Choosing split, left, or right draw allows you to configure smooth drape control from anywhere along extra wide rods.
To keep heavy drapes hanging straight, extra long traverse rods require reinforced mounting areas and secure brackets. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions closely to ensure proper support along the entire rod length.
For very long rods or ultra heavy drapes, you may need to use additional support brackets in the middle for a sag-free installation. Mount into studs or use anchors rated for the total drape weight to maintain safety and function.
Shopping for Traverse Rods
Ready to upgrade your wide window hardware? Here are some tips for choosing an extra long traverse rod:
- Measure your full window width and account for drapes stacking when opened.
- Calculate total drape weight per linear foot based on fabric and lining.
- Select reputable brands like Kirsch for quality materials and hardware.
- Consider ordering a custom-cut length for an exact fit.
Find the heavy duty traverse rods with the right length capacity, weight rating, and draw option to beautifully showcase your dramatic drapes.
Extra long traverse curtain rods are designed to unleash the potential of soaring windows and lavish fabrics. Their adjustable length, substantial weight capacity, and smooth operation are made for handling the heaviest draperies with ease.
For stunning wide window designs, upgrade your hardware to traverse systems. Pick rods with custom lengths, robust construction, and easy gliding action. Then watch your beautiful drapes traverse seamlessly, thanks to heavy duty support made for the job.
- They can be made of steel or sturdy metals like aluminum for strength.
- Custom cutting allows rods to be sized beyond standard 144″ lengths to fit extra wide windows.
- There may be an upcharge for custom sizing, with costs depending on the manufacturer.