If you’re looking to upgrade your bathroom with a stylish new shower curtain, considering going extra long with a 95-inch option. These oversized curtains provide full coverage for showers and tubs, while making a bold decorative statement.
Why Choose a 95-Inch Shower Curtain?
Standard sized shower curtains are often 72 inches long, which works well for many basic tub and shower combos. However, if you have a larger stall shower or a deep soaking tub, a longer 95-inch shower curtain is a better choice to prevent splashes and provide full coverage.
Here are some key reasons to go for the extra long 95-inch size:
- Accommodates taller shower doors and enclosures. A 95-inch curtain can more easily cover the entire height of a walk-in or custom shower stall.
- Provides more coverage for soaking tubs. The extra length wraps further across a tub, containing splashes.
- Offers enhanced privacy. Less chance of gaps means you’ll have more privacy.
- Prevents water getting on bathroom floors. Containing all the water in the tub or shower area keeps surrounding floors drier.
- Makes a bold style statement with its extra length. The dramatic proportions make it a focal point.
Extra Coverage and Height
If you have a shower enclosure that’s over 5 feet tall or a large garden tub, a standard shower curtain may leave an exposed gap. This allows water to drip down the sides, leading to potential water damage and mildew growth.
A 95-inch long curtain provides those few extra inches needed to fully cover taller showers and deeper tubs. No more puddles on the floor after you get out!
Standard sized shower curtains often leave a peak into the shower when they’re pulled shut. Going with an extra long 95-inch option provides more overlap for full coverage without gaps or peekaboo slits.
Popular Designs and Styles
You’ll find 95-inch shower curtains available in a wide range of colors, patterns, and designs. Consider which style will best complement your bathroom’s existing aesthetic.
Solid Shower Curtains
A single solid color shower curtain provides a clean, sleek look. It’s easy to match with towels and accessories. Solid white is a popular choice that matches any decor. But you can also find solid curtains in more stylish colors like black, navy, gray, or even metallic sheens.
Striped Shower Curtains
From thin pinstripes to wide nautical stripes, striped shower curtains add classic style to a bathroom. They create a crisp, tailored look that complements both modern and traditional spaces.
Patterned Shower Curtains
For a touch of whimsy, try a patterned 95-inch shower curtain. Florals and paisleys provide a romantic vibe, while geometric prints create an eclectic visual interest.
Some patterns and motifs to consider include:
- Tropical leaves and floral prints
- Moroccan-inspired paisleys and arabesque designs
- Herringbone, chevron, and zigzag geometrics
- Damask, ikat, and other worldly motifs
- Nautical anchors, shells, and sea life
Coordinating With Bathroom Colors
Look at the color scheme and style of your bathroom to select the right oversized shower curtain. For contemporary bathrooms, graphic black and white patterns or a solid bright color make a bold statement. In traditional powder rooms, an embroidered floral or Toile de Jouy print offers a romantic Parisian vibe. Take cues from your wall color, tiles, rugs, and other accents.
Material and Fabric Options
95-inch shower curtains come in a range of water-resistant fabrics that can stand up to the humid bathroom environment. Consider the pros and cons of each option.
Vinyl Shower Curtains
Plastic vinyl shower curtains are budget-friendly, easy to clean, and waterproof. Look for antibacterial, mildew-resistant vinyl for longevity. The downside is vinyl can look cheap, stain easily, and billow inwards.
Polyester Shower Curtains
Polyester is a durable, quick-drying fabric. It maintains structure better than vinyl, with less billowing. Polyester shower curtains often have a nylon coating on the back for waterproofing. The fabric edge can be hemmed or finished with grommets.
Cotton Shower Curtains
For a higher-end look, cotton shower curtains offer softness and a gently tailored appearance. Cotton blends well with linen, providing natural texture. However, cotton on its own lacks waterproofing. Treating cotton shower curtains with a water repellent spray helps maintain their integrity.
Other water-resistant fabrics like microfiber, nylon, and poly-blends are also sometimes used. Look for quality construction with double-stitched hems and reinforced holes.
Features to Look For
Here are some useful features and details to check when shopping for 95-inch shower curtains:
- Reinforced holes/grommets: Metal or reinforced curtain holes prevent ripping and ensure long-lasting use.
- Rust-proof metal grommets: Curtains with metal grommets won’t rust or corrode from moisture like inferior plastic grommets.
- Weighted bottom hem: Adds structure and helps the curtain hang straight and neat while keeping water in.
- Anti-mildew properties: Mildew-resistant fabrics prevent bacteria and mold growth in humid bathrooms.
- Rod pockets or curtain hooks: Allows for easy hanging; make sure your hooks fit your shower rod.
Designer 95-inch shower curtains often include upgrades like:
- Water-repellent nanotechnology coatings
- Magnets or velcro for curtain doors
- Stainless steel grommets
- Silicone buttonhole tabs
- Crystal, seashell, or tassel tieback accents
Hanging and Installation Tips
Installing an oversized 95-inch shower curtain is similar to a standard one, but make sure your hardware can support the additional length and weight.
1. Measure Shower or Tub Width
Before purchasing your extra long shower curtain, carefully measure the width of your tub or shower enclosure. Aim for 2-3 inches wider than the actual measurements for optimal coverage.
2. Select Appropriate Number of Curtain Hooks
Longer curtains need more hooks to hang properly along the rod – we recommend placing a hook every 6 inches. Use quality rust-proof metal hooks that can withstand humidity.
3. Use a Quality Shower Curtain Liner
Pair your 95-inch fabric curtain with a plastic liner of the same length to protect from splashes and mildew growth. Look for thick 0.7 mil vinyl liners with magnets or velcro for an enhanced seal.
4. Wash in Cold Water Before First Use
To maximize the lifespan of your new oversized shower curtain, launder it in cold water when you first bring it home. This pre-wash removes any residual factory chemicals or dye.
5. Change Every 1-2 Years
While quality curtains can last longer, it’s best to replace fabric shower curtains every year or two. Humidity, mildew, and daily use slowly degrade the integrity of the fabric over time.
Ready to shop for the perfect 95-inch shower curtain? Here’s what you need to know.
Where to Shop Online and In Stores
Oversized shower curtains are available from:
- Big box stores like Target and Bed Bath & Beyond
- Bath specialty stores like Crate & Barrel and Kohls
- Online retailers like Amazon, Wayfair, and Overstock
- Independent bath boutiques and designer brands
Check both in-store and online options to find the right style, material, size, and price range for your needs.
Average Cost and Pricing Factors
A 95-inch vinly shower curtain can be found for $20-50. Designer curtains in fabrics like polyester or cotton range from $75-150. Pricing factors include:
- Fabric quality: luxury fabrics are more costly
- Brand name: designer and boutique brands charge a premium
- Pattern intricacy: custom prints or intricate embroideries increase price
- Additional features: upgrades like magnets or weighted hems add expense
Comparing Styles, Brands, and Reviews
Look at customer images and read reviews to evaluate real-world results when choosing between shower curtain styles and brands. Check dimensions and fabric details. Comparing several options helps ensure you select the perfect oversized curtain for your needs and budget.
Styling Your New 95-Inch Curtain
An extra long shower curtain makes a seriously stylish statement. Use these tips to integrate it into your bathroom design:
Match With Towels, Rugs and Liners
Pick out towels, bath mats, and shower liners in coordinating colors and patterns. Repetition creates a pulled together, well-designed look. Aim for either matching prints or complementary solids.
Decorating Tips and Ideas
- Hang the curtain high and wide for optimal coverage.
- Add a second sheer curtain for layered look.
- Incorporate complementary colors through towels, rugs, and wall art.
- Backlight patterned curtains with led rope lights.
- Use shower curtain as inspiration when remodeling.
Finish off your new 95-inch shower curtain with decorative add-ons like:
- Shower curtain hooks in finishes like oil-rubbed bronze or nickel
- Stylish curtain tiebacks
- A bathtub caddy
- Matching soap dispenser and wastebasket
- Wall art and prints
FAQs About Oversized Shower Curtains
Have additional questions about styling your bathroom with an extra long 95-inch shower curtain? Here are answers to some frequently asked questions.
What size rod do I need for a 95-inch shower curtain?
Look for an adjustable shower curtain rod at least 108 inches wide. This allows for optimal hanging of the oversized curtain with a bit of slack and billowing.
Should I get a 95-inch liner too?
Yes, pair your 95-inch fabric curtain with a vinyl, PEVA, or polyester liner of the same length. This protects the curtain from moisture and creates a water barrier.
How do I clean a 95-inch fabric shower curtain?
Check the manufacturer instructions. Most can be laundered in cold water on a gentle cycle. Avoid bleach. Tumble dry low or line dry. Touch up wrinkles with a steamer.
How often should I replace an oversized shower curtain?
Plan on replacing your extra long shower curtain every 1-2 years. The humidity of the bathroom degrades fabric quickly. Look for signs of mold, mildew, and tears as clues it’s time for a new one.
With their high-impact style and enhanced functionality, it’s easy to see why 95-inch shower curtains are becoming so popular. The extra length makes these oversized curtains a smart choice for modern showers and soaking tubs.
From solids and stripes to bold patterns and motifs, you can find a 95-inch curtain to match any bathroom’s decorative scheme. Look for quality construction in water-resistant fabrics like polyester or vinyl. And don’t forget the finishing touches like coordinating liners, wall art, and accessories to complete the look.
With the right oversized 95-inch shower curtain, you can take your bathroom from basic to beautiful. Add stylish flair while preventing splashes and water leaks. Your morning showers just got a lot more fabulous!
Now you have all the information you need to confidently shop for the perfect extra long 95-inch shower curtain. So go ahead, give your bathroom an impressive makeover with one of these dramatic statement-making curtains that cover, protect, and beautify.