Are you looking to redecorate your bedroom but don’t have the budget for a new headboard? Don’t let the lack of a traditional headboard stop you from creating a gorgeous, put-together space. With a little creativity, you can easily dress up your bedroom even without a headboard.
From easy accent wall ideas to ways to display art and lights, we’ve got you covered with simple DIY projects to elevate your bedroom.
Create an Eye-Catching Accent Wall
An accent wall with color, texture, or added architectural detail is an easy way to draw attention to the bed area. Here are some accent wall ideas to try:
- Paint a bold color or do an ombre or geometric paint design.
- Use peel-and-stick wallpaper or removable decals to add a fun print or texture.
- Install shiplap or tongue-and-groove boards for a cottage look.
- Add molding, trim pieces, or panels for subtle framing.
Paint is an affordable option, while peel-and-stick wallpaper lets renters easily change up the look. For a simple DIY project, board and batten adds clean lines and dimension.
Display Meaningful Art and Decor
Filling the wall space above your bed with artwork, decor, and mementos lends personality and visual interest. Display collections of:
- Framed prints and photos
- Wall shelves holding plants, books, and objects
- Mirrors, either centered or in a grouping
- Wall-mounted sconces or dangling string lights
Curating special pieces you love helps make the space feel like home. Floating shelves add open storage while still keeping the area above the bed visually light.
Incorporate Nature with Plants
Incorporating lush greenery is an easy way to breathe life into a bedroom. Consider mounting planters or hanging trailing plants with these tips:
- Choose low maintenance varieties like pothos, philodendrons, or succulents.
- Add a trellis for vines to climb up the wall behind the bed.
- Opt for wall-mounted planters or pots on plant stands nearby.
- Pick plants with cascading tendrils to mimic a headboard shape.
Not only do plants add natural beauty, but they can also boost mood and help purify indoor air.
Use Salvaged Materials for Rustic Charm
For farmhouse flair, turn reclaimed wood or vintage finds into headboard alternatives. Lean old shutters or distressed window frames against the wall or affix salvaged wood into a DIY panel headboard.
- Try repurposing old doors, windows, crates, barn wood.
- Sand and stain salvaged wood for a worn, weathered look.
- Prop materials against the wall or mount permanently.
- Pair with textiles for a cozy, welcoming aesthetic.
Salvaged materials make affordable, eco-friendly statement pieces with one-of-a-kind character.
With a bit of creativity and these decorate-your-bed-wall tips, you can easily complete the look of your bedroom without splurging on a headboard. Accent walls, wall decor, strategic lighting, and nature bring visual appeal while also reflecting your unique personality.
Focus on including textures, colors, and objects you love to make the space truly yours. Don’t be afraid to get creative with unexpected materials or unconventional arrangements. The freedom of decorating without a headboard means you can change your wall decor seasonally or whenever the mood strikes.
You can transform an empty wall into a beautiful focal point with inexpensive supplies and imagination. So don’t let the lack of traditional headboard deter you from designing a dreamy bedroom retreat. Use these ideas to DIY a gorgeous, polished space you’ll be excited to relax in.