Kitchen islands are immensely popular these days. They provide extra prep space, storage, and seating while defining the kitchen zone. But islands often lack sufficient electrical outlets. This leaves you constantly unplugging appliances to use something else. Power strips offer an easy upgrade to add outlets without remodeling or construction.
Kitchen island power strips provide multiple outlets and USB ports in a compact strip. This consolidates charging options in one convenient spot. Read on to learn all about powering up your island the simple way.
What is a Kitchen Island Power Strip?
A kitchen island power strip is an electrical outlet designed specifically for kitchen islands. It provides multiple standard electrical outlets and USB charging ports all in one power strip unit.
Having everything consolidated in one power strip makes it easy to install underneath an island. It offers homeowners a way to expand their electrical capacity without needing to install several individual outlets.
Benefits of Adding a Power Strip to Your Island
There are many benefits to upgrading your kitchen island with a power strip:
- Adds more outlets without major renovation or construction projects
- Prevents constantly plugging and unplugging appliances as you use them
- Can customize the power strip with exactly the ports and outlets you need
- Provides a safer way to meet your power needs versus overloading a single outlet
- It’s an affordable and simple way to update the function of your existing island
With a power strip, you can conveniently use a blender, charge phones, run an instant kettle, and more from your island. No more mixed up Spider Web of extension cords!
Power Strip Options for Your Kitchen Island
Standard power strips offer 3-prong electrical outlets in various configurations and quantities. But specialized options can provide added functionality:
USB Charging Ports
USB ports allow fast charging of phones, tablets, and other USB-powered gadgets. No more hunting for wall adapters.
Having GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) protection is advisable for kitchen outlets. This will shut off power if a current leak is detected, preventing shocks.
Smart Home Features
Some power strips now integrate smart home tech like voice controls, WiFi connectivity for remote access, and scheduling/timers.
Surge protectors defend sensitive electronics from power spikes. Useful if you frequently run blenders or other appliances from the island.
A waterproof casing protects outlets around sinks and other wet areas. It helps prevent moisture damage or electrical shorts.
Installation Tips and Considerations
Proper installation is key for performance and safety. Here are some best practices:
- Have a professional electrician handle the installation
- May require drilling holes through cabinetry for routing wires
- Consider optimal placement based on outlet use and aesthetics
- Ensure you have access to wiring for maintenance down the road
- Use mounting brackets to firmly secure the power strip in place
- Check your local building codes for any requirements
An experienced electrician can assess your island layout and wiring routes to determine the best way to install your power strip. They can then neatly run any necessary wiring and get it hooked up properly.
Costs of Installing a Kitchen Island Power Strip
Here are typical costs associated with adding an island power strip:
- Electrician fees – The biggest cost. Expect to pay $200-500 for installation.
- Power strip unit – $50-300 depending on features. More ports mean higher prices.
- Other expenses – Brackets, wiring, tools. Usually minor costs.
The total for parts and professional installation may range from $300-800. While not cheap, it’s far less than a major kitchen remodel just to access more electrical outlets.
Should You Add a Power Strip to Your Island?
Kitchen island power strips work best for:
- Homeowners with an existing island needing more power access.
- Open floor plan kitchens where the island is a hub of activity.
Power strips may not be ideal for:
- Very small or portable kitchen islands.
- Situations where wiring access is limited.
Consider your needs, layout, and construction to decide if an island power strip is right for you. They provide a practical power upgrade without the need for major renovations.
More Features to Consider
Some power strips now offer built-in wireless charging pads. Just place any Qi-enabled device on the pad to charge it without cables.
Outlets that rotate allow flexibility in plugging in devices at various angles to optimize space.
Protect sensitive appliances and electronics from power surges and spikes with built-in surge protectors.
Some power strips include LED task lighting to illuminate the outlet area for visibility.
With a custom kitchen island power strip, it’s easy to upgrade your island’s function without major remodeling. Get just the right outlets and ports to meet your needs. Reduce clutter and hassle by consolidating your charging station into one convenient spot.
Just be sure installation is done properly by a qualified electrician. This ensures your safety and compliance with electrical codes. A few hundred dollars is a small price to pay for a personalized power solution.
Your dream kitchen is within reach. Stop struggling with too few outlets and upgrade your island today. Just plug in to customized power right where you need it!