Taking a relaxing, therapeutic shower is an excellent way to unwind and wash away the stresses of the day. But for many elderly or disabled individuals, maneuvering in and out of a slippery tub or shower can be difficult, dangerous, and downright impossible without grab bars or a place to sit.
That’s where a floating corner shower seat can help – providing safe, comfortable seating and convenience in just about any size shower.
What is a Floating Corner Shower Seat?
A floating corner shower seat is a sturdy, wall-mounted seat that is installed in the corner of your shower, over the tile or wallboard surface. Unlike traditional shower benches, a floating seat is secured into studs and blocking between the wall studs, allowing it to “float” over the shower floor. This gives a built-in, furniture-like look with no legs or bases to maneuver around.
Floating corner shower seats have some notable features that set them apart:
- Completely waterproof design
- Customizable size – fits your exact shower dimensions
- Made of durable acrylic, plastic, or metal
- Weight capacity typically up to 640 pounds
- ADA compliant models meet accessibility standards
Some of the many advantages of floating corner shower seats include:
- Space saving corner shape
- Increased accessibility and safety for users
- Supports elderly and disabled during showering
- Easy to keep clean with no crevices or underneath space
- Stylish, spa-like enhancement for any shower design
Why Choose a Floating Over Standard Corner Seat?
If you’re trying to decide between a floating versus standard corner shower seat, the floating design has some distinct advantages:
- Aesthetically pleasing since there are no legs, poles or bases
- Reduced risk of stubbing toes or banging knees
- Easier to keep area underneath clean
- Looks more built-in and upscale compared to freestanding seats
The floating corner seat’s minimalist style blends seamlessly into your shower walls with a clean, integrated look. You gain all the utility of a corner seat without awkward protruding legs or mounting poles to work around.
Primary Uses and Applications
There are a few main ways floating corner shower seats are utilized in residential and commercial settings:
For Elderly and Disabled
For seniors or people with disabilities and limited mobility, a floating corner seat is ideal. It allows safe, independent showering by providing a sturdy place to sit or grab onto when entering or exiting the shower:
- Reduces risk of slipping, falling, or injury
- Comfortable place to bathe legs, feet, and hard to reach areas
- Convenience for shaving legs or washing feet
In Small Showers
The corner location is perfect for small, tight showers where space is limited. The seat tucks neatly into the corner without intruding on standing or walking room.
- Fits perfectly into corner without cramping space
- Leaves floor open without obstructing movement or leg room
For Relaxation and Spa Feel
A corner seat adds a touch of luxury, allowing you to unwind after a long day:
- Provides a place to sit back and enjoy the sensation of warm water
- Therapeutic value from water washing over sore muscles
- Lets you stretch out legs and completely relax
Choosing the Right Size
Floating corner shower seats come in a range of dimensions, usually starting around 15″ x 15″ up to 20″ x 20″ or larger. When selecting the right size seat, here are some tips:
- Carefully measure the exact width and depth of your shower before ordering
- Consider any mobility limitations or physical needs of users
- Average size is 15″ deep x 15″ wide up to 20″ x 20″
- Allow proper grab bar clearance on adjacent walls as required
An advantage of floating corner seats is the ability to fully customize and trim the dimensions to fit your shower during installation. Just be sure to leave enough clear floor space for easy entry and exit.
Installation of Floating Corner Seats
Proper installation is key to ensuring your floating corner shower seat is safely and securely mounted. There are two main installation scenarios:
New Construction or Shower Remodel
For new shower construction or a complete remodel, the floating corner seat can be integrated seamlessly during the build:
- Installed during waterproofing and tile installation
- Secured tightly into solid blocking between wall studs
- Custom tiled front and sides to match shower walls
This allows for a smooth, factory-like fit and finish. The seat appears built-in as part of the shower design.
To install a floating corner seat in an existing shower:
- Cut opening in tile and wallboard to fit dimensions
- Secure seat backing firmly into studs and blocking
- Caulk all edges for a watertight seal to tile
For retrofits, the installation typically takes 1-2 hours with basic DIY skills. The front and sides of the seat will be visible, so take care to caulk neatly for a clean look.
Maintenance and Cleaning
Floating corner shower seats are designed to be low-maintenance. Here are some tips for keeping them looking fresh and clean:
- Acrylic and plastic seats can be easily wiped clean after each use
- Use non-abrasive bathroom cleaners and avoid harsh chemicals
- Check for soap scum, mildew, or mold buildup under seat edge
- Ensure grout around base stays clean to prevent staining
- Periodically check fittings and attachments for loose screws
With acrylic or plastic models, avoiding the use of abrasive pads or scrub brushes protects the surface. Rinse thoroughly and use a soft towel to prevent water spots.
At the end of a long day, few things are more rejuvenating than a nice hot shower. With a floating corner shower seat, you can add convenience and safety without cramping your existing space. The clean, minimalist styling suits any modern bathroom decor.
For elderly or disabled users, the seat promotes independence by allowing safe entry, exit, and secure seating during showering. The stable corner location prevents injuries from slipping and falling.
Compact dimensions maximize even the smallest showers. And the spa-like seating enhances relaxation under a soothing stream of warm water.
Overall, a floating corner shower seat checks all the boxes. Easy DIY install. Built to last durability. And low-maintenance convenience. Add one to your bathroom for extra comfort, confidence, and peace of mind during bathing.